Thursday, September 23, 2010

yellow on yellow

No moths were injured during this photo shoot. No yellow paint was applied. He came that way. Really! Think about it like this: if you were this colour and saw a house this colour, wouldn't you set up residence there? It would be a serendipitous sign I don't know that I could resist. A 'message from God'. . . .

OK. Look. If I had painted this guy, would I have been able to get him the same colour all the way around? Including getting him to hold still long enough to daube on the camouflage spots and get full coverage around the legs and antennae? He'd be a dead bug by then, and this guy is clearly not. See? That's a vertical wall he's clinging to, not a horizontal surface.

Now what sort of bug he is, is anybody's guess. I'm just glad he moved in. Glad, so long as he stays outside! No moths allowed in, to ravage wool socks and sweaters. And that is final. I don't care what colour you are.

Speaking of colour, that's really more of a saffron now, wouldn't you say? Yellow is so generic. . . .

P.S. - thanks to alert reader Tiffany, we now know this is a Crocus Geometer. Thanks to the MagickCanoe, we learn that there are Crocus Geometers and FALSE Crocus Geometers. Who knew?!

2 comments:

tiffanyconrad said...

I just happened across your blog and thought I would let you know what your moth is (if you haven't already figured it out). It's a
Crocus Geometer
http://mothguide.com/Geometridae/display_moth.php?genus=Xanthotype&species=urticaria.
Hope this helps & I enjoy your blog :-)

queenie said...

Thanks Tiffany! No, I hadn't figured out what kind of a moth it was. A "Crocus Geometer", eh? Sounds mathematical. . . .