Sunday, June 13, 2010

meanwhile, underground. . . .


In stark contrast to the abundant herb bounty are the root veggies I planted in late April. We've got radishes and carrots. After an initial good show on the radish front, they seem to have fallen off. We have lovely radish tops, with red, string roots below. No root vegetable. Or not much vegetable yet, anyway.

The carrots have great carrot tops, but not much root yet either. I keep thinking "I'll give them another week", but it's hard to resist looking to see how they're doing. I sacrificed another one yesterday, trying to impress the wee princess visiting us who condescended to take notice of my garden. We debated which was the largest carrot top, and pulled it up to see what was going on underground. I was holding my breath. It wasn't much, but it was the best so far and we took it inside, washed it, and prepared to dine. The princess and I took turns eating the carrot slices, which looked for all the world like Advil tablets. Except they were very, very sweet. I'll try again in another week or two - unless another princess comes calling. . . .

No comments: