Thursday, July 15, 2010

onslaught

I cannot keep up with the cucumbers. Every time I turn around, there's four more. And every yellow flower is potentially yet another one! Here's what happens over the course of a few days.
Here (below) is what happens if you miss one! I've decided to leave this one on the vine to see just how big it will get - as well as what colour it ends up. I've never seen the likes of this before. A yellow cucumber! Oh, and did you know that cucumbers on the vine are rather prickly?! I'm thinking that's why the deer won't touch them. . . .

Well, I'm off to find a pickle recipe. Any suggestions? I'm thinking that's the only way to deal with this onslaught.

Note to self: one cucumber plant (given enough bees) is more than enough to keep us in cucumbers!

Further note to self: plant more germander [pictured left]. It attracts more bees than any other plant in the garden, and the germander/cucumber corner is veritably abuzz with our pollinating friends! Not so the cucumber plants on the other side of the garden (for which I am grateful) as well as the melons (for which I am not). I think we need more bees on that side of the yard. As I have declared war on the deer, however, I suspect Luther has declared war on the giant bumblers. . . . It's a problem.

Yes, I know that there's a zucchini crouched amidst the cucumbers. Can you spot him? Yoo hoo! Queen Muh-hum! Time to come fetch your proh-dooce! [grin]

No comments: