Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July warfare

Coneflowers are said to be pretty nigh indestructible. Bugs don't touch them; neither do deer. They're prickly things, no aroma, but the colours are nice and they come back every year. What's not to like?!

I splurged this year and got one of the new cultivars that have scent, even prettier colours, and gorgeous names! Summer Sky - said to be the most fragrant of this new strain. They're gorgeous.

This morning, something looked wrong. The petals were missing! I walked over and this is what I saw. Note to self: fragrance can invite unwanted attention. I recall that Luther had also immediately tried to taste one. . . . this should have been a sign. Anyway, the culprits (and there were three) were also summarily executed, like the guys feasting on our aubergines! Constant vigilance is the order of the day. . . .

Luckily, I have only one of the Summer Sky's - and the other run-of-the-mill echinaceas are doing just fine, thank you very much. Several of them have been munched on, however, which I blame on the odorific ones. I don't know if they'll last here. We'll see.

They are pretty.

No comments: