Friday, April 25, 2008

studio fireplace

This is the studio fireplace - before parging. It turned out quite a bit different to what we had expected - but wow - I really think it's cool!Here we were in the planning stages. The switch to a stone keystone really made a difference. Larry [right; John is left] found the perfect stone; I saved it by keeping him from cutting it to make it more perfect. I'm not sure whose idea it was to put the extra brick in, but the guys are right: we may not even parge it, we like it so much. The library window [above] is finally uncovered. That means the roof is finally completed in that area, so: no more water-works there when it rains! Remember the front left corner? Well, this is it. From the inside.

Meanwhile, the other fireplace mantels arrived, but only the library one arrived intact. The other one didn't survive shipment. Thanks, UPS!

The tower is almost finished. . . . but the masons were no-shows today. They're down to a pallet and a half of stone, and I think they need a bit more of a selection to be able to work. I don't know this for a fact, though. I'm just thinking. . . .Something to look forward to next week.

No comments: